Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Home Fries

 

We keep potatoes around the house on a pretty consistent basis. 
SO when I'm craving a kind of garbage meal, I feel about 85% less guilty making these than if I were to stop at McDonald's. 

First things first, get your assistant to help you pick out potatoes:


NOTE: If you use Yukon Gold or Russet, you don't need to peel the potatoes. BUT I used baby reds, so I peeled them. The skin isn't the kind of skin you'd see on a "home fry."


meow. 


Preheat the oven to 400. 
After your tatos are peeled, slice them into "fry shaped" pieces, like so: 


Soak them in warm (NOT BOILING) salt water for a few minutes. I just tossed them in as I chopped, and then left them all in there for about 5 minutes. This helps the center stay soft but the outsides crisp up.  Or something like that.


Gather some seasonings. I used this "Cavender's" seasoning my best friend got me a few years back, and salt and pepper. You could also use some cajun, lowry's, etc.
Drain the potatoes, toss in olive oil, and season to your liking. 


Pop in the oven for about 30 minutes, flipping every 10. (they could've even stayed in for another 10-15 but I was HANGRY, yo)

Tip: I used a metal spatula to forcefully chisel under the fries when flipping, otherwise if done gently, the bottom layer peeled off (thus defeating the purpose of the crispy exterior). This may just be my cheap ass cookie sheet, and lack of cooking spray though..who knows. Just an FYI. 

If you're feeling ambitious, whip up a dipping sauce whilst they cook: 
I happened to have some sour cream on hand from burritos earlier in the week, so I whipped up some seasoned sour cream.
I added Lowry's and stirred until it was a light pinky color. Just season it to taste for yourself.


Inspector cat.



aaaaannnndddd enjoy.

12 comments:

  1. Gulp! Those look delish and healthy and easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Can you make these tonight? Because I'm coming over for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM!!!!!!!!! These sound so good! Totally trying these out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i feel too lazy too make these when craving junk BUT these look SUPER good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM !! Those fries looks delicious..I will definitely have to try them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Totally making home fries this weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! Now I want fries, thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete