Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Ridiculously awesome fresh summer salad

(via)
I haven't done a "recipe" post in a loooonnnggg time but I would feel remiss if I did not share this one with you. It was a sneaky unassuming little salad that packed a lot of flavor and was SO FRESH, and what more can you ask for when it's 80 degrees out?

This recipe makes 8 servings.. I halved it and it was enough for a full meal for Matt and I, and we had some leftovers.

1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 - 1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
4 ears fresh corn (we grilled ours for 15-20 minutes... SO worth it)                    
1/2 cup finely diced red onion (cut to same size as the clusters of corn kernels), soaked in ice water for 20 minutes and patted dry (anybody have any insight with respect to what the point of this is? I did it.. because I feared the new recipe.. but I'm not sure what it did. Maybe dull the strong flavor the onion usually has? the world may never know.)                    
1/2 cup cucumber, seeded, not peeled if unwaxed, then diced to same size of onions
1/2 cup red or orange sweet pepper, diced to same size as onions
1/2 cup cherry or pear tomatoes, halved or quartered
3 tablespoons parsley, finely torn (I used some Thyme and Cilantro I had from my herb garden, really anything fresh and you can't go wrong!)                   
1 tablespoon basil leaves or buds, pulled apart
1 tablespoon fresh jalapeno, seeds and veins removed, very finely diced                    
1/2 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
1 - 2 cups small arugula leaves (I just used Romaine that I had)
 
Directions
 
1. For dressing, in a glass bowl whisk together vinegar, sugar, the 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and black pepper until sugar is dissolved. Let dressing stand while preparing salad
 
2. For salad, cut corn kernels from cobs. In a large bowl toss corn and remaining ingredients except sea salt and arugula leaves.
 
3. To serve, transfer salad to large serving bowl. Season with the 1/2 tsp. sea salt. Add the dressing; gently thread in arugula leaves. Serve immediately. (Cucumbers and tomatoes will begin to break down.) Makes 8 servings.
 
Guys, the sweet and sour apple cider vinager dressing is the perfect balance to the zip of the jalapeno. and DO NOT think "oh, 1 tbsp. (or 1/2 if you're halving the recipe) doesn't seem like much!" because it packs a punch.) The best part is it requires zero cooking, minus tossing some corn on the grill-- and for that, M and I just run it under some water, husks on, (to keep it from starting on fire on the grill) and then grill them and husk them afterwards. Such an easy GREAT way to do corn.

1 comment:

  1. Yum. I must try this. And I have never heard of soaking an onion before... but I guess it's a way to dull the flavor, kind of like cooking it? Whatevs. I love all of these things. #getinmahbelly

    ReplyDelete