Wednesday, June 10, 2015

HERBED PARMESAN TRUFFLE FRIES


 

I make no secrets about the fact that I am a fry addict. 
The answer to the question of "chips or fries?" is always, always, "fries." 
This is especially true when I find truffle fries on the menu. 
I think I first had truffle fries in Fargo, ND at a rather snazzy hotel known as the HoDo, or Hotel Donaldson. The fries looked normal, save for a light dusting of Parmesan cheese and some herbs, but oh. my. god. 

If you've never had truffle oil on food I can't even describe it to you other than to say it's other worldly. 
Truffles are insanely expensive and farmers actually use pigs to sniff up truffles underground. BUT truffle oil is a less expensive way to indulge in its greatness. 

I've received two bottles of truffle oil as gifts (I make no secrets of my affinity, clearly). 
So, in search of a cheaper and slightly healthier way to have truffle fries, I tried to make them at home..and I must say, I've finally found a fry method that produces perfectly crispy fries with the least amount of work. 


INGREDIENTS: 
  1. Howevermany potatoes per people (I use 2-3 depending on size, for Matt and I. I've also used both Russet and Yukon Gold and they've turned out great). 
  2. 1 Tbsp of truffle oil
  3. 2-3 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil, divided (or 2 Tbsp olive oil, and a cooking spray) 
  4. 2 Tbsp of minced parsley
  5. 2 Tbsp of Parmesan
  6. Salt to taste
DIRECTIONS: 
  1. Pre-heat oven to 425. 
  2. Slice potatoes into "fry size"- specific size isn't AS important as it is that they're uniform, that way they cook at the same pace. 
  3. Toss sliced potatoes in a bowl with 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil, if two seems like too much, just use one. Use your judgement. You just want a light coating on all the fries. Toss lightly with a 1/2 tsp of salt or so as well.
  4. Lay tinfoil on a baking sheet (makes for easier cleanup), spray foil generously with nonstick spray OR use remaining EVOO. 
  5. Spread potatoes in a single layer, leaving as much room as possible on all sides to let them breathe/cook evenly. 
  6. Bake for 15 minutes, remove, and fluff/flip potatoes. Cook another 15 minutes. Depending on how crispy you want them, keep repeating these steps until they start to crisp up to your liking. I tend to do this 3-4 times. 
  7. Remove from oven, put back in bowl, toss with 1 Tbsp of truffle oil, Parmesan and parsley. 
  8. Inhale. 

2 comments:

  1. Truffles creep me out but I kinda really do love truffle oil. So so good. Butcher and the boar has Mac and cheese with truffle oil. Heavenly.

    ReplyDelete